Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Fridge Feast: A Faux-Chicken Salad made with Ordinary Ingredients

Yesterday, I came back from a day chock full of classes with a ravenous appetite.  After searching my cabinets inside and out, I realized my blood sugar was so low I needed to pop something in my mouth; immediately.  So without much preparation, I made a simple but satiating and delicious fauxx chicken salad.


Combining the sweet, crunchy element of half a leftover fuji apple, a few spoonfuls of leftover buffalo hummus, a diced slice of half a red onion, a squeeze of lemon, and Gardein's faux breaded chicken strips, I had a bangin' lunch in no time.  There are countless ways of preparing a nice salad, so I'll give you options along with the recipe of ingredients I happened to have in my fridge.  The only solid ingredient you really need is faux chicken strips; Gardein is delicious and won VegNews' Veggie Awards for best product of 2010!  They're also available in most supermarkets; they're not exclusive to health food stores.

I-found-all-this-crap-in-my-fridge faux chikin salad
(Done with what I had to work with at the exact date and time= BUFFALO STYLE )
3-5 strips Gardein Breaded Crispy Tenders (or any other faux chicken, tempeh, or even tofu)
2 tablespoons Bean's Buffalo Hummus (AWESOME stuff, but any hummus will do- experiment with garlic, lemony, or spicy varieties)
2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
Shake or 2 black pepper
Squeeze of fresh lemon
half-quarter large fuji apple, sloppily diced

Serve Over:
Bed of mixed greens (which I chose)
Toasted Multi-grain bread

or Serve Between:
A sesame or cinnamon raisin bagel (trust me, sweet and savory works is magical)
two slices of your favorite bread/bun


Defrost chikin strips by setting out or microwaving based on bag's instructions. In a small bowl, douse cooked strips with tabasco sauce,...









 ..smashing it all together with a spoon or fork until it is a consistent "pulled" consistency.  Add hummus, black pepper, then the lemon and mix together.  Then, add apples or anything else such as walnuts, tofu, celery, or raisins (whatever your heart desires.)  Then simply coat a plate with a heaping bed of lettuce, toast, bagel, or pita and scoop salad on top, and enjoy!



Bon appetite, biatches,

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment